- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 24 hours chilling
- Effort: medium
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 40 g sugar
- 100 ml white wine or marsala
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the filling
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 50 g candied fruits
- 2 sprigs mint, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 350 ml coffee liqueur
- 50 g chocolate chips
- melted chocolate sauce
1. Sieve the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt onto a work surface and make a well in the middle.
2. Whisk the wine or Marsala in a bowl with the egg yolks and pour into the well in the dry ingredients. Using your fingers gradually bring the flour into the liquid until a smooth dough is forming. Drizzle the olive oil onto the surface to help form the dough and keep it moist. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for 24 hours (if youre in a rush, an hour will do).
3. Next day, work the dough by kneading it. Shape it into a ball, and divide it into four. Cover the other 3 balls whilst shaping the first piece so that the dough does not dry out.
4. Flatten the dough slightly with a rolling pin or by hand, until about 2mm thick. On a lightly floured surface, cut it into a rectangle, large enough to wrap around a large cannoli mould until the edges meet. Press the edges together to make a cylinder. Repeat until you have covered all 4 moulds.
5. In a deep fryer, carefully heat vegetable oil to 180C and deep-fry the cannoli, still on their moulds, until golden brown. Remove them with a spoon to a plate lined with kitchen paper. When cooled slightly, remove them from the moulds and allow to cool.
6. For the filling: mix together all the filling ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
7. When the cannoli are cold, spoon the filling into each tube.
8. Serve the cannoli with melted chocolate sauce to dip into.
Rate This Recipe