- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr marinating
- Effort: easy
- 3 kg boned ribs of beef
For the marinade:
- large bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 4 plump cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp sweet chilli paste
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp sukiyaki marinade
- 3-4 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- black pepper
For the new potatoes and broccoli
- 2 kg new potatoes
- 2 good heads of broccoli
- 2.5 cm ginger, finely sliced
- 180 ml sweet chilli sauce
- sesame oil
1. Place all the ingredients for the marinade together in a large bowl and stir well.
2. Score diamond shapes into the fat side of the beef with a sharp knife and put it into the marinade. Rub the marinade well into the beef and leave for an hour.
3. Set the oven to 220°C/gas 7 and roast the meat for 30 minutes per kilo, plus 15 minutes more. This will give medium beef, if you want it rare knock off the last 15 minutes.
4. Cover with a piece of tin foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes. This is crucial - you have to do it so that the fibres in the meat will relax and the meat will become moist and tender!! Don't worry about it going cold - it won't.
5. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until almost cooked.
6. Lightly cook the broccoli in a separate pan and refresh in cold water.
7. Heat the sesame oil in a deep pan over a medium heat and add the ginger. Turn the heat off and allow the ginger to infuse in the sesame oil.
8. 10 minutes before carving the beef, reheat the pan with the oil and ginger and add the potatoes and broccoli. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes and then add the sweet chilli sauce. Toss well and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe