- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 16 large leaves radicchio
- 16 large fresh scallops, cleaned and washed
- 16 paper-thin slices of pancetta, or Lardo di Collonnata
- 16 tiny sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or melted pork fat
For the pan-fried potatoes:
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into dice, soaked in cold water for at least one hour to draw out the starch
- 4-7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- pinch of dried mixed herbs
For the radicchio and pink grapefruit salad:
- 2 large pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented, juices reserved
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 2 heads radicchio, coarsely shredded
1. First cook the pan-fried potatoes. Drain the potatoes and dry them thoroughly with kitchen paper.
2. Pour 4 tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan and heat until sizzling hot. Add the potatoes and sear them quickly on all sides. Cook briskly, turning frequently and drizzling with a little more oil or cold water as required to help retain their moisture, uncovered until soft in the middle and crisp and brown on the outside.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked through, sprinkle with salt and the dried herbs and set aside.
4. Prepare the salad. Whisk together the reserved grapefruit juice, the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Arrange the radicchio in a bowl, scatter over the orange segments and drizzle with the dressing.
5. Wrap a radicchio leaf around each scallop, then wrap a slice of pancetta around each radicchio-wrapped scallop, securing them with a wooden cocktail stick, and tucking a tiny sprig of rosemary up inside each parcel. Brush with the olive oil.
6. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Layer the scallop parcels on the griddle and cook until the pancetta is crisp around the edges, turning twice or three times.
7. Serve the scallops with the pan-fried potatoes and the radicchio and pink grapefruit salad.
Rate This Recipe