- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 zampone sausages, Italian pork sausage
- 2 large onions, cut into eighths
- 4 carrots, cut lengthways, then into quarters
- 1 bulbs garlic, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 x 2 kg capon, or boiling fowl
- lentils, cooked, to serve
For the salsa verde
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 tinned anchovies, chopped
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 bunches fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 bunches flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Place the zampone in a pan of boiling water and cook gently for 1½ hours. When cooked, remove and leave to cool slightly before slicing.
2. In a large pot and combine onions, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, rock salt and pepper corns with 2.5 litres of water and bring to the boil.
3. Immerse the capon in the broth, turn down to the lowest heat, cover with a lid and cook for 2½ hours. Once cooked let the liquid cool to 40C, remove the capon and slice thin slices from the breast and leg.
4. For the salsa verde, finely chop together the garlic, anchovy and capers. Combine in a large bowl and mix together to form a paste, then add the remaining ingredients except the oil and stir together. Add the olive oil gradually whilst stirring and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the chicken with the sliced zampone, some of the broth, lentils and finish with the salsa verde.
Rate This Recipe