- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into 2cm dice
- 3 red peppers, cut into 2cm dice
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml white wine
- 1 red chilli, eeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted pine kernels
- tbsp small capers
- 2 tbsp raisins, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- a pinch pinch of cinnamon
- 15 g fresh oregano or wild thyme
- 2 goose eggs
- 3 tbsp truffle oil
- focaccia, to serve
1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat and add the onion. Cook until golden. Add the garlic and cook until softened. Push the mixture to the side of the pan, add a little more oil and cook the aubergine chunks until golden.
2. Push the aubergine chunks to the side of the pan, add the remaining oil and the peppers and fry until softened. Season with lots of black pepper.
3. Add the tomatoes and wine and stir to combine. Cook for ten minutes, and then add the chilli, pine nuts, capers and raisins.
4. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and oregano and simmer for another 10 minutes. If the mixture looks a little dry, simply add a little water and stir.
5. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and break in the goose eggs. Bubble the mixture for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are softly cooked.
6. Drizzle with the truffle oil and serve immediately with warm focaccia.
Rate This Recipe