- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 375 ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 red peppers, halved, seeded, roasted, skinned and chopped into chunks
- 2 green peppers, halved, seeded, roasted, skinned and chopped into chunks
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 300 g celery, chopped
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 450 g ripe plum tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp capers
- Handful of green olives, pitted
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- shredded flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- plate of cheese and salami, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the aubergine and fry, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
2. Using a slotted spoon transfer the aubergine to a large saucepan. Add the roasted red and green pepper to the fried aubergine and set aside.
3. Add the onion, celery and garlic to the frying pan and fry until soft, around 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in the tomatoes and cook, stirring now and then, for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the tomato mixture to the aubergine mixture.
6. In a small saucepan, heat together the sugar and vinegar until the sugar has dissolved.
7. Add the vinegar mixture to the aubergine mixture, then the capers and olives. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Place the pan containing the aubergine mixture on a hob, cover and simmer gently until all the vegetables are soft and tender, around 15-20 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with shredded flat-leafed parsley and serve warm or cold with an antipasto platter of salamis and cheeses.
Rate This Recipe