- Serves: 12-16 brownies
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 100 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken into pieces
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 50 g plain flour
For the caramel ripple:
- 200 g cream cheese
- 50 g dark brown sugar, preferably muscovado
- few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, stirring now and then.
3. To make the caramel ripple, combine the cream cheese, dark muscovado sugar, vanilla extract and egg in a bowl and mix well until evenly blended. Set aside.
4. Stir the beaten eggs and light muscavado sugar into the melted chocolate mixture, then sift over the flour and gently fold in.
5. Spoon half the chocolate mixture into a 20cm square shallow cake tin, lined with silicone paper, then alternately dollop teaspoonfuls of the caramel mixture and the remaining chocolate mixture on top. Using a chopstick or skewer, lightly ripple together to create a marbled top.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until just set. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate This Recipe