- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the crumble topping
- 50 g almonds, roughly chopped
- 100 g plain flour
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 45 g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 75 g demerara sugar
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
For the apple filling
- 100 g caster sugar
- 500 g apples, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- 40 g unsalted butter, diced
- splash calvados
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
2. For the crumble topping: place all the crumble topping ingredients into a mixing bowl and rub together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Spread the mixture out onto a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden.
3. For the apple filling: whilst the crumble topping is cooking, heat the sugar in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat until dissolved and starting to turn golden and caramelise. Add the apples and toss to coat in the caramel, then gradually add the butter, shaking the pan to combine.
4. Simmer the apple in the pan for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until caramelised with a thick and syrupy sauce. Carefully pour in the calvados, standing well back as the alcohol may flame. Cook for a further minute until the sauce is thick and syrupy again.
5. Spoon the caramelised apples into 4 individual serving dishes. Sprinkle over the cooked crumble mixture (reserving 2 tablespoons) and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle the ice-cream with the remaining crumble mix and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe