- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: medium
- 4 knobs of butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 4 generous dashes of dark rum
- chopped hazelnut praline (optional), to decorate
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
For the pancake mix:
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 60 g butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
For the hazelnut chocolate sauce:
- 5 heaped tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml double cream
Tips and Suggestions
You can keep the pancake mix for at least 2 days in the fridge. Whisk it well just before using.
1. Make the pancake mix first. Sift the flour into a bowl. Make a well in the middle and crack the eggs into the well. Add some of the milk and whisk with the eggs, gradually incorporating some of the flour from around the edge. Continue adding the milk and whisking until all the flour is incorporated and you have a smooth batter. Whisk in the melted butter, salt and sugar - this will help develop the flavour. Cover and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before use.
2. Now make the sauce. Put the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter and cream in a small saucepan over very low heat. Work the mix with a spoon until shiny and smooth. Be careful that it doesn't overheat or it will crumble and split (it should feel just warm to your finger). Reserve in a warm place while you make the pancakes.
3. Whisk the batter then grease a non-stick pancake pan with a smear of butter. Set it over medium heat. Pour a ladleful of batter into the pan, pushing it into a circle. Working quickly, before the batter sets, arrange a quarter of the banana slices in a star shape in the batter. Sprinkle with vanilla caster sugar and add a knob of butter.
4. Flip the pancake over and leave for a minute or two until it starts to caramelise. When nice and golden, flip it over again. By now it should be beautifully caramelised.
5. Splash with rum and ignite. Transfer to a serving plate and keep warm while you make the remaining three pancakes.
6. Dust with hazelnut praline, if using. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you wish.
Rate This Recipe