- Serves: 2
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 mins standing
- Effort: easy
- 150 ml natural yogurt
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 g lean boneless lamb, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cm ginger, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 potatoes, peeled, quartered
1. Combine the yogurt, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, and salt, and mix with the lamb. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over a moderate heat. Sprinkle over the sugar and cook until it melts and caramelises.
3. Add the oil - it will splutter, so take care. Tip in the spiced lamb, leaving behind any spiced yogurt in the bowl.
4. Fry the lamb cubes over a moderate heat until browned. Add the onions continue frying for about 10 minutes, until coloured. Stir in the ginger, garlic and tomato puree.
5. Add the potatoes to the pan along with the reserved spiced yogurt used for marinating the lamb. Pour in around 150ml boiling water and simmer the curry for approximately 40 minutes, until the meat and potatoes are tender. Add more water if the curry gets dries out while the lamb cooks.
Rate This Recipe