- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 1 hr and 10 mins rising time
- Effort: easy
For the babas
- 45 g milk
- 8 g yeast
- 8 g caster sugar
- 125 g strong plain flour
- 1 large egg
- pinch salt
- 60 g butter, melted
- 2 shots peach liqueur, to serve
For the soaking syrup
- 500 ml water
- 250 g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 x 4 cm cinnamon sticks
For the caramelised peaches
- 2 firm peaches
- 40 g demerara sugar
For the chantilly cream
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. For the babas, mix the milk, yeast and sugar together in a large bowl and stir until the yeast and sugar have dissolved.
2. Put the flour, egg and salt into a food mixer, add the yeast mixture and blend to make a dough.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and pour the melted butter over the top. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Lightly butter 2, 20 cm, non-stick savarin or 6 dariole moulds.
5. Knead the dough lightly to incorporate the butter and fill into the prepared moulds, until three-quarters full. Leave to rise for 10 minutes, before baking for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
6. Remove the bread from the moulds and cool on wire rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/gas 4.
7. For the syrup, dissolve the sugar in the water, and add the orange zest and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Strain through a sieve and leave on one side.
8. For the caramelised peaches, cut the peaches in half and remove the stone. Sprinkle with sugar and cook the peach halves, cut side down on a griddle, until caramelised. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes, until just softened.
9. Prick each baba with a fork and dunk in the syrup for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove and drain on a rack. If you're making a savarin, pour over the syrup.
10. For the chantilly cream, whip the cream until it reaches soft peak stage. Fold in the sugar and vanilla essence.
11. To serve, put a baba on each plate, and drizzle over a dash of peach liqueur. Arrange the peaches on the side, and top with chantilly cream.
Rate This Recipe