- Serves: Makes 1kg of pastry
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hr chilling
- Effort: medium
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 350 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150 g icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 ml cold water
- 500 g plain flour
1. Place the caraway seeds into a dry frying pan and toast for 2 minutes, stirring often, until the oils and aromatic flavours are released.
2. Place into a mortar and grind with a pestle until finely ground.
3. Place the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer and mix until light in colour.
4. Add the egg yolks gradually, mixing well with each addition.
5. Add 25ml of the cold water and mix well.
6. Add in the flour and ground caraway seeds gradually, mixing in until well mixed.
7. Add the remaining water and mix for 2 minutes.
8. Form the pastry into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
9. To use, knead the pastry until smooth and pliable, then work swiftly as the dough can become very soft.
Rate This Recipe