- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 1 hour infusing
- Effort: easy
- 750 ml whole milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 4 cardamom pods, roughly bashed, tied in muslin if possible
- 75 g basmati rice
- 75 g caster sugar, or more to taste
- 4 tbsp grated fresh coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
1. Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan. Drop in the cardamom pods and gently bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 1 hour until aromatic.
2. Preheat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2.
3. Lift out and discard the cardamom pods, then stir in the rice and sugar. Bring to a simmer again, taste and add a little more sugar if needed, then pour into individual ramekins or ovenproof dishes and bake for 1 hour. They will be a nice, caramelised top to each one.
4. Meanwhile, in a dry frying pan, gently toast the grated or desiccated coconut and orange zest until golden. When ready to serve, sprinkle over the toasted coconut and orange mix.
Rate This Recipe