- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 900 g hogget, cut into 3cm chunks
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp grated cinnamon
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- rice and peas, (kidney beans)
- chopped coriander
- lime wedges
Tips and Suggestions
Levi serves his hogget with rice and peas, a popular Caribbean dish which doesn't actually include any 'peas' as we know them in the UK.
Beans are used instead - usually red kidney beans, although yellow split peas and black-eyed beans would also work just as well.
Try this recipe for rice and peas.
1. Wash the meat and pat it dry with kitchen paper.
2. Melt the butter in a large, lidded casserole dish (or you could use a Caribbean duchy pot). Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until soft, then add the hogget, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the stock, coconut milk and cream, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2-21/2 hours, until the meat is completely tender and cooked through.
4. Stir in the lime juice, cook for another minute or two and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
5. To serve, put a spoonful of rice and peas on the plates, spoon over the curry, sprinkle with chopped coriander and add a lime wedge to each plate.
Rate This Recipe