- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus cooling and chilling
- Effort: medium
- 550 g caster sugar
- 1 litres water
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 ripe pineapples
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- mango and lime ice cream, to serve
1. Put the sugar, water and vanilla pod in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer briskly for 5-10 minutes until the bubbles look syrupy.
2. Peel the pineapple and remove the core. Using a very sharp knife, cut into very thin slices. Place in a single layer in a shallow dish.
3. Pour the hot syrup over the pineapple. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge.
4. Crush the peppercorns using a pestle and mortar, and push through a sieve.
5. Arrange the pineapple slices on serving plates. Sprinkle with the black pepper and serve with a scoop of mango and lime ice cream.
Rate This Recipe