- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 850 ml chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- Handful of fresh coriander, or parsley
Tips and Suggestions
For more soup recipes, take a look at our chunky winter soup recipes
1. Sweat the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a medium heat in a large, lidded pan for about 7 minutes, or until soft.
2. Chop the carrots and butternut squash into 1.5cm/ 5/8in cubes and add to the pan. Season with black pepper and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
3. Pour in the stock, add the thyme leaves and parsley or coriander and bring to the boil. Now turn down the heat a little, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Finally, use a hand blender or liquidizer to purée the soup. Reheat and serve.
Rate This Recipe