- Serves: Makes 1 cake
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 minutes resting time
- Effort: easy
- 100 g sultanas
- 1 orange, juice only
- 250 ml canola or sunflower oil
- 225 g muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 orange, grated zest only
- 250 g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (see Cook's tip below)
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 8 pecan halves, roughly chopped
For the cinnamon syrup
- 220 g sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the icing
- 150 g mascarpone
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon or orange juice, (optional)
- 50 g icing sugar, sifted
Tips and Suggestions
Grate the carrots 30 minutes before using them, to allow them to soften a little.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 18cm sandwich pans.
2. Put the sultanas and orange juice into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a gentle heat. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and leave the sultanas to cool in the juice.
3. For the cinnamon syrup: put the sugar, ground cinnamon and cinnamon stick into a saucepan with 250ml water and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Bring to a simmer and then simmer gently until the syrup is thick enough to almost coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
4. Whisk the oil and muscovado sugar together to combine, then whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Stir in the orange zest, carrots and drained sultanas.
6. Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and a large pinch of salt together over the mixture and gently fold in.
7. Divide the cake mixture between the pans and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
8. For the icing: beat all the ingredients together until smooth. Spread one-third of the icing over one cake and sandwich together with the other cake. Spread the remaining icing on top and sprinkle with the pecans.
9. To serve, drizzle over some of the cinnamon syrup and cut into slices.
Rate This Recipe