- Serves: makes one 18cm cake, cuts into eight wedges
- Cook Time: 35 minutes plus 5 minutes cooling time
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 150 g caster sugar
- 250 g coarsely grated carrots
- 100 g shelled walnuts, finely chopped
- 150 ml corn oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the frosting
- 50 g butter, room temperature
- 75 g full-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line an 18cm diameter round cake tin.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in the caster sugar, carrots and walnuts.
3. Pour in the corn oil, and add the eggs and vanilla essence. Stir to mix, and then beat for one minute until everything is combined.
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of an oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and leave on one side for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Leave to cool completely.
5. For the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, and add the cream cheese and vanilla essence. Gradually stir in the icing sugar.
6. Spread the frosting over the cake and scatter with chopped walnuts. Cut into generous wedges and serve.
Rate This Recipe