- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- 300 g caster sugar
- 600 g carrots, chopped and freshly boiled (cooking water reserved)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200 g raisins
- 400 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until well-blended.
3. In a food processor, process the cooked carrots with a little of the cooking water to a puree.
4. Fold the carrot puree into the oil mixture.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
6. Fold in the raisins, mixing well.
7. Sift the flour, baking soda and allspice and fold into the mixture. Mix in the vanilla extract.
8. Turn into a greased lined cake tin.
9. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes until risen and set. Test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean the cake is cooked through.
10. Cool the cake on a wire rack. Serve.
Rate This Recipe