- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the hummus
- 200 g carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g cooked or tinned chickpeas
- ½ lemons, juice only
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the pancakes
- 150 g carrots, grated
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g gram flour, also known as chickpea flour
- 50 g semolina
- 2 tsp salt
- 150-200 ml water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the roasted chilli feta
- 120 g feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- large pinch dried red chilli flakes
For the salad
- small bag mixed leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- splashes chardonnay vinegar, or other white wine vinegar
- 25 g pine nuts, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2. For the hummus: tip the carrots onto a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until softened.
3. Remove from the oven and tip them straight into a food processer with all the remaining hummus ingredients. Blend to a smooth purée, adding splash of water if too thick.
4. Taste for seasoning then set aside.
5. For the pancakes: tip all of the pancake ingredients, apart from the water and olive oil, into a mixing bowl. Stir in enough water to form a thick batter, the consistency of thick double cream.
6. Heat the olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then spoon in a quarter of the batter. Swirl to coat the bottom of the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
7. Repeat with remaining batter to make 4 pancakes in total.
8. For the roasted chilli feta: place the feta on a large piece of aluminium foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle over the chilli flakes.
9. Wrap up the foil to form a loose parcel, place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until the feta is warm and soft
10. For the salad: while the feta is cooking, gently toss together all the salad ingredients. Season, to taste, with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
11. To serve, return the pancakes to the oven for 1-2 minutes to warm through, then place on individual serving plates. Top each with a generous spoonful of the carrot hummus, crumble over the warm feta and top with the mixed leaf salad. Finally, scatter over the toasted pine nuts and serve.
Rate This Recipe