- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp margarine, shmaltz or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500 g carrots, sliced quite thickly into coin shapes
- 500 g sweet potatoes, cubed
- 125 g prunes, chopped
- 125 g apricots, chopped
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 oranges, juice, zest of one
- 2 lemons, juice, zest of one
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinches grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
1. Heat the margarine in a large pot, set over a moderate heat. Add the onion and fry until soft - about 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, prunes, apricots, honey, zest, juice, spices and seasoning. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Give everything a good stir, then cover and simmer until the carrots and sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
3. Adjust the seasonings if necessary - it needs to be sweet, but not sickly-sweet.
4. This dish is best made the day before it is eaten so the flavours get a chance to mellow.
Rate This Recipe