- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 15 minutes cooling
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 200 g soft light brown sugar
- 300 g peeled and grated carrots carrots, (weight when grated)
- 75 g pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- A pinch of salt
For the icing
- 100 g cream cheese
- 1 orange, zested
- 200 g icing sugar, sifted
Tips and Suggestions
The nuts are optional so if you'd like to make nut-free carrot cake, just leave them out
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line the base and sides of a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment, with the paper coming above the sides of the tin to enable the cake to be lifted out easily.
2. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl to break them up, then whisk in the oil, sugar, grated carrots and chopped nuts. Sift in the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture together using a wooden or large metal spoon.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the surface with a palette knife. Bake in the oven for between 1 hour and 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
4. Allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then carefully lift the cake out of the tin with the lining paper. Peel away the baking parchment and place on a wire rack to cool down fully before you ice it.
5. For the icing: Beat all the ingredients together, then use a palette knife to spread evenly over the cake.
Text © Rachel Allen 2012. Photography © Philip Webb 2012.
Rate This Recipe