- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: plus overnight soaking for the beans
- Effort: easy
- 2 Toulouse sausages
- 250 g piece pork belly, (optional)
- 450 g dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 250 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 2 confit duck legs, (confit du canard)
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To prepare the sausages and belly of pork (if using), prick both with a fork and place in a pan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and remove from the pan. Leave to rest for 2 minutes and refresh in cold water.
2. Drain the beans, place in a large heatproof casserole dish and cover with clean cold water.
3. Add the onion, bouquet garni, thyme and garlic and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour, until the beans are just softened.
4. Add the blanched belly of pork and chopped tomatoes. Cook for a further hour - make sure you keep the beans covered with liquid throughout.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Remove any excess cold fat from the duck legs, and place them on a rack in a deep baking tray.
6. Place the blanched sausages on a separate tray and cook the duck and sausages in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until crisp. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
7. Remove the casserole from the heat. Shred the meat from the duck legs and cut the sausages into bite-sized chunks. Add both to the casserole, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe