- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and seeds removed
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 250 g white crab meat
- 1 tsp chopped dill, plus 1 sprig
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, (see recipe below)
For the mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp sugar, (optional)
For the garnish
- 1 handfuls rocket
- 2-3 tsp basil-infused olive oil
1. To make the castellated crab; dice the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
2. Peel the avocado and slice into horizontal rings. Put the avocado slices into the lemon juice to prevent them discolouring.
3. Mix the crab meat with the chopped dill and mayonnaise and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Place a layer of diced tomato in the ring, followed by avocado, followed by one layer of the crab mixture. Place more avocado on top of the crab and finish with another layer of tomatoes, compressing the layers as you go. Finish with a sprig of dill.
5. To make the mayonnaise; whisk the egg yolks and mustard together and then add the oil very slowly, drop by drop at first, whisking constantly.
6. Add salt to taste and whisk in the lemon juice and sugar if using.
7. To serve; toss the rocket in the basil oil and place on a serving plate. Unmould the crab from the ring onto the serving plate.
Rate This Recipe