- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 litres milk
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 10 eggs
- 115 g sugar
- zest of 1 lemons
- pinch of strands saffron, ground and soaked in warm water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
1. Mix a little of the milk with the cornflour in a small bowl and stir until dissolved.
2. In a large heavy-based saucepan, place the milk, cinnamon sticks and lemon zest. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs together in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly blended.
4. Strain the hot milk into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
5. Add the saffron and dissolved cornflour to the beaten eggs, mixing in well.
6. Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking well
7. Return the milk mixture to the saucepan and cook over a very low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a smooth custard, around 5 minutes.
8. Pour into 8 small earthenware dishes or ramekins, cool, then chill until serving.
Rate This Recipe