- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g macaroni
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 broccoli, broken into florets
- 700 ml cold milk
- 50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- pinch of nutmeg
- 200 g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Fill a large cooking pot big enough to hold the cooked pasta, broccoli and cauliflower with water and bring to the boil over a high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 12 minutes or until al dente.
2. Five minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the cauliflower florets to the water. Two minutes later, add the broccoli florets - if you dont have enough space just put on a second pot of boiling water. Cook for 3 more minutes, then drain. Place back in the pot and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Grease a 25cm x 25cm ovenproof baking dish, approximately 5cm in depth.
4. Add the milk to a saucepan over a medium to high heat and the whisk in the butter and flour. Continuously whisk until the mixture comes to a steady simmer and continue to cook until you have a thick sauce.
5. Add the wholegrain mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and three quarters of the cheese. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Mix through until the cheese has melted and then pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni, cauliflower and broccoli and mix through until everything is combined.
6. Pour the contents of the pot into the baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pop in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the top has turned golden and the sauce is bubbling up the sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Rate This Recipe