- Serves: 4 as a side dish
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 potatoes, peeled
- 1 cauliflower, trimmed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, or mustard oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds, or onion seeds
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2.5 cm cassia bark, or cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300 ml water
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 200 g yogurt, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
1. Cut the potatoes into wedges. Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
2. Heat the oil in a sauté pan or frying pan and lightly fry the potato wedges and cauliflower, turning, for 3-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the nigella or onion seeds, cloves, cardamom pods, cassia or cinnamon and bay leaf to the oil remaining in the pan, and gently cook for a minute or two until the spices crackle.
4. Return the potatoes and cauliflower to the pan and add the turmeric, chilli powder, salt and sugar.
5. Mix well and add the water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked. Add the tomatoes and the yogurt, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes
6. Add the chopped coriander and sprinkle with garam masala to serve.
Rate This Recipe