- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 20 mins resting
- Effort: easy
For the grapes
- 2 large handfuls seedless red grapes, stalks removed
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
For the fritters
- 1 celeriac, peeled and cut into 8 chunks
- 10 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
- 1 lemon, pared zest and juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp polenta
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt
- butter or vegetable oil, for frying
- 100 ml crème fraîche
- fresh pomegranate seeds
Tips and Suggestions
the fritters are also delicious served with roast peaches or poached stone fruit and vanilla ice cream.
1. For the grapes: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Put the grapes in a roasting dish, preferably ceramic, that will just hold them in a single layer. Drizzle with the pomegranate molasses and add 2 tablespoons water. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until they've given off some juice and have begun to look a little shrivelled.
3. For the fritters: while the grapes cook, put the celeriac in a pot with 4 tablespoons of the sugar, a pinch of salt and the lemon zest and juice. Barely cover with cold water, cover and cook until just tender - a knife should just go through it. Drain, discarding the lemon zest, and leave to cool in a colander.
4. Sieve together the polenta, flour, ginger and baking powder. Once the celeriac has cooled, grate it coarsely into a bowl with the remaining sugar, the egg, vanilla and yogurt. Mix together then mix in the sieved mixture and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
5. Heat a pan, preferably non-stick, and add a little butter or oil, Cook spoonfuls of the fritter mixture, making sure you don't overcrowd the pan as you cook them. You can make them as large or small as you want. Flip them over once golden and cook on the other sides - they'll need about 4-5 minutes in total. If they colour too quickly, your pan is too hot. They are best eaten warm, so keep any cooked ones in a low oven while you finish cooking all of the mixture.
6. To serve: put one or two fritters (depending on their size) on a plate and dollop on crème fraîche. Spoon over the grapes and their juice and scatter with pomegranate seeds.
Rate This Recipe