- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml chicken stock, or enough to cover
- 150 g butter
- 250 ml double cream
For the samosas
- 150 g white crab meat
- 100 g brown crab meat
- 1 tsp ground green cardamom seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- ½ oranges, grated zest only
- ½ limes, grated zest and juice
- 12 spring roll wrapper
- vegetable oil
1. For the soup: heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onions, garlic and celeriac for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and slightly softened, but not browned.
2. Pour in the milk and enough chicken stock to cover then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the celeriac is tender.
3. Use a stick blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency then stir in the butter and cream and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
4. For the samosas: in a bowl mix together the white and brown crab meat, cardamom, chilli, coriander, orange zest, lime zest and juice. Season to taste.
5. Place 2 teaspoons of the samosa filling towards the front of a spring roll wrapper. Fold the front corner over the filling to form a triangle, then fold the remaining wrapper over the top to seal the triangle, tucking the sides under neatly. Brush the edges with a little water and seal. Repeat to make 12 samosas.
6. Pour enough vegetable oil into a large frying pan so that it comes 2cm up the side of the pan and place over a medium-high heat until hot. Working in batches, add the samosas and fry for 3-4 minutes, until crisp and golden, turning once or twice during cooking.
7. Remove the samosas from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
8. To serve, reheat the soup over a low heat for 5 minutes then pour into warmed serving bowls. Serve the samosas alongside.
Rate This Recipe