- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300g of carrots
- 200g of swede
- 200g of celeriac
- 1 onion
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
For the vegetable stock
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves
- Sunflower seeds
1. Place the ingredients for the stock in cold water and bring it to the boil. Add some salt and let it simmer slowly while preparing the veggies.
2. Let's start with the swede and the celeriac. Peel and cut into cubes and put them aside.
3. Pour the olive oil in a deep pot and wait until it is warm. Be careful that the oil does not get too hot, otherwise it will burn the onion and the spices. Add the onion to the olive oil and let it sizzle slowly.
4. When the onion is golden, add turmeric and smoked paprika. Stir the spices in and add the chopped ginger. Let the flavours mix for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped carrots and stir it well. After a few minutes add the rest of the veggies and let it sautée for about 6-7 minutes with the lid on.
6. Pour the boiling stock over the vegetables. The liquid needs to be 2-3 cm above the veggies. Let it simmer until all the roots are soft, which should take about 20 minutes.
7. Blend the soup and add salt if required and check the consistency. If it is too thick, add some more stock.
8. Dry fry the sunflower seeds until golden. Add them on top of the soup with a splash of lemon, some smoked paprika and a few cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Rate This Recipe