- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g barley
- 6 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 120 g unsmokedstreakylardons of bacon
- 2 heads chicory
- 4 spring onions
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 4 mackerel fillets
- fresh chervil, to garnish
1. Rinse the barley, and place it in a saucepan with plenty of water, add a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the barley is tender but not soft. The texture of the barley is one of the key elements of this dish; it should have a little resistance to the tooth but no bite.
2. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until hot.
3. Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and transfer to a plate to cool.
4. Slice the chicory into 1cm slices, crosswise. Finely slice the spring onion.
5. Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl and add the remaining oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
6. Drain the cooked barley and rinse under cold water. Drain again and then toss in a bowl with a few drops of oil.
7. Mix the chicory, barley, bacon and parsley together in a bowl. Dress the salad and divide it between four plates.
8. Season the mackerel fillets with salt and pepper and rub a dash of oil on the skin side.
9. Place the mackerel on hot griddle, skin side down, and cook for about 40 seconds, until the flesh is almost cooked through. Turn and cook for a further 10 seconds.
10. Place a mackerel fillet on top of each pile of salad and drizzle over the lemon dressing. Add a generous grinding of black pepper. Garnish with chervil and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe