- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 4-6 hrs marinating
- Effort: medium
- 16baby octopus, 4-5cm long
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- a few sprig thyme
- 1 red chilli, roughly sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 good handfuls mixed salad leaves
For the lime dressing:
- juice of 3 limes
- 100 ml groundnut oil
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the octopus in a bowl with the garlic, thyme and chilli. Add enough olive oil to barely cover the octopus, and toss to mix. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for 4-6 hours if possible.
2. To make the lime dressing, pour the lime juice into a bowl. Add the oils and whisk vigorously until thickened.
3. Heat a cast-iron stove-top grill until smoking hot. Remove the octopus from the marinade and place on the hot grill. Cook quickly for a few minutes on each side until slightly charred. Cook in batches if necessary.
4. To serve, arrange the salad leaves attractively on a large platter. Top with the cooked octopus and drizzle with the lime dressing.
Rate This Recipe