- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 whole quail
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 small bunch thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 medium courgettes, grated
- 3 tbsp currants, soaked in 2 tbsp port
- 3 tbsp pine kernels, lightly toasted
- 6 basil
- black pepper
1. Marinate the quails in the lemon zest, thyme and olive oil for as long as possible.
2. Heat the griddle pan or barbecue until very hot, quickly score the quail on both sides, cook for about 5 minutes and then leave to rest.
3. Heat a medium sized saucepan over a moderate heat and add the olive oil and the butter, then the courgettes. Quickly stir with tongs, and then add the currants, pinenuts, and basil, keeping the courgette crisp. Take the pan off the heat and season to taste.
4. Replace the quail on the hot griddle or barbecue and cook for a further minute on each side.
5. Cut each quail in half, place some courgette mixture on top and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe