- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes plus several hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
For the parcels
- 500 g flour, chilled
- 2 tsp salt
- 500 g unsalted butter, chilled
- 250 g Tomme de Savoie cheese, cubed
- 160-200 g cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
For the salad dressing
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 50 ml soured cream
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- rocket and lettuce salad
- crushed walnuts
- sesame seeds
1. Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and gradually add 290ml of water, stirring to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
2. Roll the dough into a long thin rectangle about 45cm long and 18cm wide. Flatten the chilled butter into a small rectangle one-third the size of the dough rectangle and place it in the middle. Fold up the sides of the dough to cover the butter.
3. Turn the dough parcel 90 degrees and use the rolling pin to press around the edges to seal them. Roll out the dough into another long rectangle, then fold it up into a square parcel again. Wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
4. Repeat the rolling and folding process another two times, chilling the pastry for 1 hour between each rolling.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry to a depth of about 8mm and cut out 13cm circles. Fill each circle with 20-30g of the cheese and 10-20g of the ham. Season with black pepper. Fold over the pastry to seal in the filling and crimp the edges. Brush with a beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Whisk the mustard with the oil then add the cream, vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Make a salad with ripped rocket and crisp lettuce leaves. Drizzle with the mustard vinaigrette, top with crushed walnuts and sesame seeds and serve with the hot pastry parcels.
Rate This Recipe