- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 50 g plain flour
- 25 g desiccated coconut
For the syllabub
- 1 jar of lemon curd
- 300 ml double cream
- 250 g meringue nests, broken into pieces
- 1 lemon, zest
1. For the coconut wafers: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cover two heavy baking sheets with non stick baking parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the golden syrup. Add the lemon juice, flour and coconut and mix well to form a wet dough.
3. Drop teaspoons of the mix onto the baking sheets, setting them well apart to allow them to spread while baking.
4. Bake for 10 12 minutes, until the edges of the wafers are golden brown and the middles are lightly coloured. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
5. For the syllabub: spoon a small amount of lemon curd into the bottom of 6 serving dishes, sundae glasses, wine glasses or large shot glasses.
6. Pour the cream into a large bowl and whip until the cream holds soft peaks. Add the crushed meringues to the bowl and carefully fold them into the cream.
7. Add a layer to the serving glasses. Keep alternating the layers of lemon curd and cream until the glasses are full. Garnish the tops with lemon zest.
8. Ideally chill until they are set, serve with the wafers on the side for dipping.
Rate This Recipe