- Serves: makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g butter, at room temperature
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature and beaten
- 225 g apples, unpeeled, grated
- 110 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 55 g nuts, (optional)
- 500 g plain flour
- 15 g baking powder
- 15 g bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 3
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, preferably with an electric whisk.
3. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition.
4. Fold in the apples, cheese and nuts, if using.
5. Sift the flour with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and stir into the wet mixture.
6. Spoon into a greased 900g loaf tin. Put the tin on a baking sheet for ease of handling, and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours until cooked.
Rate This Recipe