- Serves: Makes 12 scones
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- oil, for greasing
- 225 g strong bread flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 40 g butter, diced
- 125 g mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 125-150ml milk
- butter, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and sea salt into a bowl.
4. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in two-thirds of the grated cheese, followed by the mustard, thyme and cayenne.
6. Using a knife, gradually cut in enough of the milk to make a soft dough.
7. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 1.5cm. Cut into circles with a pastry cutter or upturned glass.
8. Place the circles on the greased baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the remaining cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes.
9. Transfer to a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes, then eat hot with lashings of good country butter.
Rate This Recipe