- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 400 g puff pastry
- egg wash, (1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk)
- 80 g emmenthal, or parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 28 x 12cm rectangle, about 2mm thick. Roll it loosely over the rolling pin and unroll it onto the prepared baking tray. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Brush the entire surface of the pastry with eggwash and sprinkle over the grated cheese evenly. Mix the paprika and cayenne together and dust it over the surface. Use a cooks knife to trim and neaten the edges of the pastry, then halve it lengthways to make 2 bands, each measuring 14 x 12cm.
3. Cut each piece into 1cm wide strips, making 24 straws in all. Lift each cheese straw with a palette knife, hold both ends and twist them 6 times in opposite directions to make a spiral. Put the straws on a baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack carefully. Leave to cool slightly.
4. Arrange the cheese straws in a tall goblet or on a plate and serve, preferably while still warm.
Rate This Recipe