- Serves: 25
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 75 g wholemeal flour
- 60 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 125 g butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg, separated
- 60 g mixture of cheddar and parmesan, finely grated
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Marmite, to garnish
- rosemary, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Rub together the wholemeal and plain flour with the butter until you have fine crumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and the mustard powder. Mix together, then knead into a ball.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to approximately 5mm thick. Cut the pastry into straws, about 1.5cm wide and 15cm long.
5. Brush the straws with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Gently push them into the pastry.
6. Using a fish slice place the straws onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
7. Remove immediately to a cooling rack to avoid overcooking the bottom. To makes them into Halloween snakes, dot with Marmite for the eyes and place a rosemary leaf on the end as a tongue.
Rate This Recipe