- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 large starchy potato, or 2 smaller ones, total weight 650g
- grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Peel the potato, wash and grate it. (or preferably, shred it on a mandolin) Fold the grated potato into a tea towel and squeeze out as much of the water as possible.
3. Transfer the grated potato to a bowl and season with salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg.
4. Heat a small non-stick frying pan with 1 tablespoon groundnut oil. Place half the grated potato into it and press down well with a spatula. Put the cheese in the centre, not quite all the way to the edges of the pan. Spread the second half of the potato over the top and press down well. Fry over a medium to high heat for 2 minutes. Turn with a spatula (or if you're feeling brave, flip it over) and fry for 2 minutes on the other side.
5. Add the butter in little knobs around the edges and put the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the potato pancake from the oven, cut in half and serve plain or with one of the following toppings.
Rate This Recipe