- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 100 g butter, cubed
- 100 g mature English cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp sage, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
For the filling:
- 100baby g onions
- 50 g butter
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 50 g air-dried ham, cut into strips
- tomato and red onion salad, to serve
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. To make the pastry, work the flour, butter, cheese, sage and 1 tablespoon of the chopped chives together in a large mixing bowl until smooth. The pastry will be squidgy and slightly wet but this is normal. Press evenly into the tart tin and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. In the meantime, peel the baby onions, leaving them whole. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and cook the onions for 20 minutes.
4. Add the honey - about 1 tablespoon to start with, adding more to taste if necessary. Cook gently for a further 10 minutes or so, until the onions have caramelised. Leave to cool down a little.
5. Beat the eggs and cream together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Remove the pastry case from the fridge and spoon the onions evenly over the bottom. Pour the egg and cream mixture over. Top with the strips of ham and sprinkle over the remaining chopped chives.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the filling is set and the pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with tomato and red onion salad and a herb vinaigrette.
Rate This Recipe