- Serves: 4 (the cake will serve many)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the Irish fondue
- 4 tbsp dry white wine
- 3 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 350 g Irish cheese, (such as Gubeen, Durrus and Cooleeney), grated
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- crusty white bread, to serve
For the cheese 'cake'
- cornish yarg cheese, whole cheese
- Wigmore cheese, whole cheese
- Waterloo cheese, whole cheese
- cream crackers, to serve
- quince, jelly or paste
- figs, cake
1. For the Irish fondue: put all the ingredients into a small saucepan or fondue pot and stir over a low heat until melted. Set aside until ready to serve.
2. For the cheese 'cake': assemble the cheeses in a tower, with the largest on the bottom and the smallest on the top. Garnish with the fruit and crackers.
3. To serve, heat the fondue over a low heat again until the cheese begins to bubble, then transfer the pot to a fondue stove near the assembled 'cake'. Serve the fondue with chunks of crusty white bread, for dipping, and the 'cake' with a variety of crackers.
Rate This Recipe