- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling time for cherries
- Effort: easy
- 500 g sour cherries, stalks removed
- 4 tbsp kirsch
- 75 g caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone
- 300 ml custard, shop bought is fine
- 225 g brioche, or substitute light sponge
1. Cut the cherries in half, with the stones still in. Place in a heavy-based saucepan with 2 tablespoons of the kirsch, the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook gently until the cherry juices start to run and the sugar has completely dissolved.
2. Take out the cherries and leave to them to cool. Continue to cook the juices until thick and syrupy.
3. Stone the cooled cherries, cut them in half and mix in with the syrup. Leave to cool completely before assembling the trifle.
4. With an electric beater or whisk together the mascarpone and custard in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
5. Cut up the brioche (or sponge cake, if using) and use line the bottom of four pretty dessert glasses.
6. Drizzle each one with a little of the remaining kirsch and spoon over a little of the cherry mixture.
7. Cover the cherries with half of the mascarpone custard, then repeat layering once more with the brioche, cherries and mascarpone custard. Chill before serving.
Rate This Recipe