- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs
- 160 g plain flour
- 160 g butter, melted and cooled
- 300 ml milk
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods, split lengthways
- 60 g butter
- 400 g perfectly ripe cherries, stoned and with stalk removed
- Generous pinch of granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork, then lightly beat in the flour. Whisk in the cooled melted butter, then gradually whisk in the milk followed by the sugar. With the point of a knife, scrape out the seeds
from the vanilla pods and add them to the mixture.
3. Cut 20g of the butter into small pieces, set aside. Use the remaining 40g to generously grease an ovenproof dish, about 22cm in diameter and 3-4cm deep. Spread the cherries evenly over the base of the dish, then pour the batter mixture over them.
4. Carefully transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven setting to 180°C/gas 4, and cook for a further 15 minutes. Scatter the reserved butter pieces evenly over the top of the clafoutis and bake for another 5 minutes, or until set. To check, carefully insert the point of a sharp knife in the middle, if it comes out clean, the clafoutis is cooked.
5. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Serve the clafoutis warm, from the baking dish.
Rate This Recipe