- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr chilling for pastry
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 120 g butter, chilled
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 unwaxed lemons, zest only, finely grated
- 1 eggs
- 500 g cherries, stoned
- 1 handfuls cinnamon sticks, shavings, to decorate
- 200 ml plain yogurt
1. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the lemon zest and egg, and mix together to form a dough. Wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Grease a 15cm diameter tart tin. Roll out two thirds of the dough to a thickness of 5mm and use to line the tart tin.
4. Pack the cherries tightly into the flan case and press them firmly into the dough.
5. Roll out the remaining dough trimmings into a circle 5mm thick.
6. Lay it over the cherries, cut off the excess dough, and then press the edges gently down inside the ring to seal. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. To bake the tart, set the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
8. Brush the top of the tart with egg white and sprinkle with the reserved sugar. Bake the tart for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
9. Allow it to cool slightly and then decorate with shavings of cinnamon stick and serve in wedges with yoghurt.
Rate This Recipe