- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs rising
- Effort: easy
- 250 g strong bread flour
- 250 g chestnut flour
- 15 g salt
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 40 g butter
- 300 ml water
- 90 g walnuts
- 100 g sultanas
1. Mix the flours together in a large bowl and add the salt, yeast and butter.
2. Gradually pour in the water until you have incorporated all the flour in the bowl to make a soft dough.
3. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead with your fingers and the heel of your hand for 5 minutes until smooth - it should become springy to the touch. Return the dough back to the bowl to rest for 1 hour - until it has doubled in size.
4. Add the walnuts and sultanas to the dough and mix in well with your hands, shape the dough into a ball and place onto a greased baking tray. Leave to rise for another hour - it should double again in size.
5. Set the oven to 210C/gas 7. Slash the top of the dough with a knife and sprinkle with flour; bake for 30 minutes - the bread should sound hollow when tapped.
6. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve with a strong cheese.
Rate This Recipe