- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 8-10 hrs freezing
- Effort: medium
For the chestnut parfait
- 8 g egg yolks
- 50 g chestnut purée
- 500 ml water
- 500 g sugar
- 250 ml double cream, whipped
For the mulled wine reduction
- 750 ml red wine
- 1 oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
For the crème brûlée
- 5 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar, , plus extra for sprinkling
- 500 ml double cream
1. For the chestnut parfait: mix the egg yolks and chestnut puree together in a mixing bowl.
2. In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to the hard ball stage (120C). Gradually add the sugar syrup to the yolk mixture, whisking as you do so.
3. Fold the chestnut mixture into the whipped cream. Pour into a mould and place in the freezer to set, around 8-10 hours.
4. For the mulled wine reduction: gently heat the red wine in a saucepan. Add the clove-studded orange, cinnamon and star anise and allow to reduce by two-thirds over a medium heat.
5. For the crème brûlée: preheat the oven to 110C/90C fan/gas ¼. Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar in a mixing bowl. Fold in the cream then add the mulled wine reduction, to taste.
6. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until set.
7. Once the crème brûlée has cooled, sprinkle evenly with a fine layer of caster sugar and caramelise with a chef's blow-torch. Serve alongside the chestnut parfait.
Rate This Recipe