- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 g chestnut mushrooms, wiped and roughly chopped
- 100 g canned peeled chestnuts
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 15 g butter, melted
- 150 g red leicester cheese, grated
- 300 g jar red pimentos, drained and trimmed
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes. Raise the heat, remove the lid and cook until the juices from the mushrooms have evaporated.
2. Transfer to a food processor with the chestnuts and blend until you have a chunky pate consistency. Season.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. Lay a sheet of filo pastry onto a clean work surface, brush with a little melted butter. Top with another sheet of pastry and repeat until you have a stack of 4 sheets.
5. Spread the chestnut mushroom mixture over the pastry leaving 2.5cm gap at the edge. Scatter the red Leicester cheese over the top and cover with red pimento. Starting from one end, roll up like a swiss roll enclosing the filling and lift onto a clean baking sheet.
6. Brush the top with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pastry is golden and crisp. Serve warm or cold cut into slices.
Rate This Recipe