- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g chestnuts, tinned or fresh
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 sage leaves, fresh
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500 ml water
1. If using fresh chestnuts, score a cross through the base and grill for 5-7 minutes. Set aside and when cool, remove skins.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the bay leaf and onions. Sauté until lightly golden. Add the chestnuts (fresh or tinned), salt, pepper, sage and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the milk and water and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Empty the mixture into a liquidiser and blend until smooth.
4. Return mixture to the pan and add extra water to taste. Pour in less water if you prefer a thicker soup. Serve piping hot.
Copyright The Vegetarian Society
Rate This Recipe