- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the fritters
- 300 g chickpea or gram flour
- 1 litres warm water
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- vegetable or sunflower oil, for deep frying
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
For the beans
- 400 g green beans, topped and tailed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 tinned tinned anchovies, drained
1. Put the chickpea flour in a pan and gradually add the water stirring or whisking all the time to avoid any lumps.
2. Add the parsley and season to taste. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to come away from the pan - this takes quite a while, about 30 minutes.
3. Spread the mixture out onto an oiled work surface or tray to a thickness of about 2cm thick. When cool, cut into rectangles or finger like slices.
4. Heat a deep-fat fryer, half-filled with oil, over a medium heat. Fry the fritters until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the beans.
5. Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes - they should still be crisp. Drain and set aside. In a frying pan, heat the oil, add the garlic and fry until golden. Add the beans and chopped anchovies and toss well together. Season and sharpen with lemon juice.
6. Serve the beans with the crisp-fried fritters.
Rate This Recipe